Friday 27 December 2019

Guinea-Bissau Small Birds, 1996

A correspondent found a set of 4 stamps and souvenir sheet apparently issued by Guinea-Bissau in 1996 which is not listed on my site, nor on Kjell Scharning's. He informed me that the MICHEL catalogue lists it as No. 1243-1246 and MS 299 (containing MICHEL No. 1247). Stanley Gibbons online catalogue does not list any issue for this country for 1996. I found an Ebay sale with the souvenir sheet, but at US$99, I considered it too expensive!

The species featuring in this issue are not named on the stamps, but appear to be Cardinal Woodpecker, Crimson SeedcrackerPied KingfisherRed-fronted Parrot and Village Weaver. Any help with Guinea-Bissau 1996 identifying these birds or any information about the issue would be most welcome.

UPDATE Tino Mischler has identified the red bird as Crimson Seedcracker. As most of the birds occur in Guinea-Bissau, I will list them, but probably not collect them. Why are they so expensive?

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I see you are based in Norwich, I am in Strumpshaw, which is fantastic for bird watching. However the 'Birds' that I see are mostly those on stamps which I use in my artwork, have you heard about my Postage stamp art? Please take a look and let me know what you think... www.toniajillings.co.uk

    ReplyDelete